Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs.  It’s paid monthly and you may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Universal Credit is being introduced across the United Kingdom in stages.  It replaces:

  • – Housing Benefits (HB)
  • – Income-related Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • – Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • – Child Tax Credits
  • – Working Tax Credits
  • – Income Support
Universal Credit

Universal Credit works differently from other benefits – so if you’re moving from another benefit it’s important to know the differences.

The biggest differences are:

  • – you can get Universal Credit if you’re unemployed but also if you’re working
  • – you’ll usually get a single payment each month, rather than weekly or fortnightly
  • – instead of getting a separate housing benefit, your rent will usually be paid directly to you as part of your monthly Universal Credit payment

NOTE: Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax Support.  An additional claim to the council will need to be made

More information about Universal Credit can be found on the Citizens Advice website or the Universal Credit pages of GOV.UK.

To claim Council Tax Support visit the Stockport Council website.

Sign in & Contact number

Sign in to your Universal Credit account if you already have one.

Telephone: 0800 328 5644 | Textphone: 0800 328 1344 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm) – find out about call charges